Saturday, August 21, 2010

My head. My gut. The Peds.

When the three most important aspects collide when you're child is sick.....

Head: It's been 4 days now. She doesn't have a fever but we should take her in. Her cough and runny nose is getting worse. Ok apt at 3.
Gut: She is so sick, we should just go to the doc now. Honestly don't even bother calling. Ok the apt. is at 3. We can wait.
Ped: She has a virus. The rash on her foot isn't HFMD, those bumps look more like blisters. Call if she gets worse.

Head: Ok it's only been a day but I know she is getting worse. Her cough is much worse and she has been screaming for an hour. I think we need to call.
Gut: GET HER THE HELL TO THE DOC! She's screaming and you can't get her to calm down, no bath, no nursing, just leave.
Ped: It's 7, we close at 8 bring her in.

Head: We're in the car on the way and she just fell sound asleep. Now I have no idea what to do. D thinks we should go home, she must have needed to sleep. Calling now to say we are going home and will call if she gets worse.
Gut: The ped is going to be pissed. You should just go. She needs a doc. She isn't getting better. At least we know if something has changed she seems really sick.
Ped: (annoyed) We close at 8.

Head: It's 9, Her right leg is full of blisters. This has to be HFMD. Must google all that has to do with hand foot and mouth disease and the symptoms and treatments. Call the doc.
Gut: She is so sick. She can barely breath and these don't look like blisters per say and they are not on her hands and feet. Call the ped. She needs to be seen right away.
Ped: Nurse: The ped won't speak to you because you chose not to come in at 7, there is nothing we can do for HFMD. I'm very sorry but please come in tomorrow if she is not better.

Head: If there is anything wrong with my daughter I will sue you. I will lawyer up faster than a Tiger Woods mistress and get your ass fired.
Gut: I don't have a ped. Now I'm crying. She is so sick. The doc hates me so much she won't even see my sick child. How horrible of a mom am I that screwed up my relationship with my babies doctor when she's sick. This is horrible. I'm humiliated.

Head: Time to find a new Ped. Asking around. I will have a ped by the end of the night.
Gut: We have put up with this for too long. It's time we need find a new doc. One that agrees with our style of parenting, or at least doesn't judge us for it. We need to feel like it's ok to co-sleep, breastfeed, and making our own decisions for our daughter. But it IS their job to treat her when she is honesty very ill. I have been quiet for too long. To not talk to the mother of a sick 9 month old, because you are annoyed is beyond ridiculous. I'll do all the calling, I'll interview every new doctor. But she deserves someone who will talk to her mother at 9pm when she is sick.

Head: 11 moms we know use this clinic. The docs come highly recommended. She doesn't have a fever. We shouldn't take her. I guess her rash is worse.
Gut: This guy better be good. The rash is worse. She is coughing more. I'm terrified. She is so sick. What if he sucks. What if she is really REALLY sick. I shouldn't have screwed up with the last doc. She doesn't have a fever but I know she's sick. D doesn't think we should take her in, but I know we should. I'm glad we are taking her in. She needs to see a doc even though it's only been one day since we say the last doctor, I know somethings up.
New Doc: Double ear infection, eye infection, hives and a virus.

I'm a mom. I have a gut. It's time to listen to it more!

No comments: